Domestic Rates

The following rates are effective as of January 1, 2022.

 Bi-monthly Base Rate  0-2,000 c.f*  $88.00
 Level One  2,001+ c.f*  $.0500/c.f

* c.f. = cubic foot                        1 c.f. of water = 7.48 gallons



2nd Notice Rebilling Fee $5.00
Disconnect Notice Fee $20.00
Disconnect/Reconnect Fee $60.00
Reconnect Fee After Hours $35.00
NSF Check Fee $50.00
Stop Payment (customer initiated) $50.00


BMID accepts cash or check. Checks may be mailed in or deposited in the white drop box outside our office.
*REMINDER: If you’re using the bill pay option through your bank, make sure you allocate enough time for your payment to be received in office by the due date.  It is the customers responsibility to ensure their payment arrives in office on time.  All bill pays are a physical check, sent via USPS and may take up to 10 days to arrive in office.

Domestic and irrigation accounts must be paid by separate checks.

Domestic Water Availability

One of the requirements for the issuance of a building permit from either the county or the City of Richland is acquiring a Water Availability Letter from the respective water utility. (BMID or the City of Richland).

The current charge for a water availability letter from BMID is $2100.00. Call the City of Richland for their current rate.

To find out which utility serves you, call either BMID or COR for information.

Water Quality Report

Each year, the Department of Health requires water systems to create a water quality report and distribute it to our customers. Our annual report details the sources of our drinking water, results of routine compliance lab tests for contaminants, our water use efficiency efforts for the year, and other information about the district.

Click here for the 2021 Water Quality Report.


Original bills: Customer has up to 24 days to pay from date billed.

Second notice: If original bill remains unpaid after 24 days from the date billed, a second is issued. Customers has up to 14 days (2 weeks) to pay their account in full.

If the second notice remains unpaid after 14 days from date of second notice, customer accounts are then charged with a disconnect notice charge (orange door hanger) and have up to 9 days to pay, or BMID reserves the right to shut-off water service to those customers.

Badger Mountain Irrigation District has the authority to terminate water service to any account that has an outstanding balance at the end of the billing cycle.

Adopted by the Board of Directors on February 5, 2003.

Connection Sketch

 Domestic Connection Sketch

Domestic Map

Domestic Map


As your domestic water provider, it is the District’s responsibility to provide our customers with water that is safe under all foreseeable circumstances and meets water quality standards.  The District monitors the entire distribution system on a 24/7 basis.
We systematically check water quality on a variety of schedules; some daily, some monthly and some annually. The District must take reasonable precautions to protect the community water distribution system from various potential contaminants and water-borne pathogens such as coliform bacteria to name a few.  Another less obvious precaution that the District has in place is a Cross Connection Control Ordinance (BMID Resolution # 2001-11) and a Cross Connection Control Operating Policy. The Ordinance and Policy are designed to protect our community’s water distribution system from hazards associated with the accidental backflow or back-siphonage of water from an individual residence back into the water distribution system.

  • Please contact the District if you have or intend to use potable water for anything other than internal domestic use only. The BMID cross-connection specialist will assess each proposed non-traditional use on a case by case basis. Examples include the filling of stock watering troughs or swimming pools. There are several premise isolation techniques that are available to the customer.
  • In accordance with BMID Resolution 2001-11, “water service to any premises shall be contingent upon the customer providing cross connection control in a manner approved by BMID.” No cross connections shall be created, installed, used or maintained within the territory of BMID except in accordance with these regulations.


What Is A Cross Connection?

A Cross connection is any actual or potential physical connection between a potable (domestic) water line and any pipe, vessel or machine containing a non-potable fluid or has the possibility of containing a non-potable fluid, solid or gas, such that it is possible for the non-potable fluid, solid or gas to enter the water system by backflow.

Example: Connecting your irrigation distribution system to your household potable water system.  This is what is called a direct connection and is definitely not allowed by BMID without the installation of a proper backflow assembly.

What is Backflow?

Backflow is flow in reverse from the normal direction of flow in a piping system.  This is caused by a pressure differential existing from one pipe system to another (e.g., a fluid of a higher pressure flowing to fluid of lower pressure).  Backflow may occur due to either back-siphonage or backpressure.

Example: Within the BMID service area, the irrigation system pressure is in almost all cases, higher than the potable system pressure at any given location.  Accordingly, if a direct connection were made between the two systems, contaminated irrigation water could easily flow (due to backpressure), into a home’s drinking water pipe system and possibly out into the main distribution lines in the street thereby potentially threatening the water quality for many homes in the community.

What is Back-Siphonage?

Back-siphonage is caused by negative pressure in the supply piping

Example:  Some common causes of back-siphonage are 1) high water velocities within the distribution pipe lines, 2) a line repair or break that is lower than a service point (connection), and 3) lowered main pressure due to a high water withdrawal rate such as fire fighting or water main flushing.

If needed, please contact BMID for more information concerning this important matter or visit the following Washington Department of Health website –